If your pet is turned in to the Shelter
The Guilford County Animal Shelter will receive animals from Guilford County Animal Control, High Point Animal Control, Greensboro Police Department, and residences of Guilford County. We are unable to accept animals from other counties.
- Effective Jan. 1, 2010, ALL animals being surrendered will require proof of ownership before the surrender. A picture IS NOT accepted as proof of ownership. Acceptable proof of ownership is *Vet records, *a microchip with your name as the owner, *a license or registration listing you as the owner.
- All animals that are received from these entities as strays, or found animals will be held for 72 hours.
- After the 72 hour waiting period they will become the property of the Guilford County Animal Shelter to put in adoption or to be euthanized in compliance with the animal shelter policies.
If an animal is surrendered to the Guilford County Animal Shelter it is held for 24 hours before it becomes the property of the shelter.
Guilford County Animal Shelter Policies
Once the animal becomes the property of the Guilford County Animal Shelter it is at the discretion of the Guilford County Animal Shelter to do what is in the best interest of the animal. We do everything we can to put each animal into adoption but may not be able to if the animal has temperament issues or illnesses that we can not treat.
Lost Pet Policies and Rules
When looking for your lost pet please do not call the shelter to ask if your animal is here.
- You must come and make a positive identification of your pet.
- We are open Monday and Wednesday thru Saturday 12-6 and Sunday 1-5. The Animal Shelter is closed on Tuesday.
- If you locate your animal and want to redeem it before the holding period is over you may do so after all applicable fees have been paid.
- All animals must receive a rabies vaccine if not current and a microchip if they do not have one.
- You must have proof of ownership and rabies vaccine at the time of redemption and only the current owner can redeem their animal.
- If you find your pet here after the holding period and want the animal back you will be required to adopt the animal if approved through our adoption process.
Another Tool for Lost or Found Pets
“The Lost & Found Pet Book” is located at the customer service desk in the front lobby. There are two seperate listings to this book:
- First, for those pet owners who are still searching and who have already looked through the shelter Intake animals and have not found their pet, they can list their dog or cat in our lost book with their contact number. If someone finds your animal and contacts the shelter we will be happy to give them your contact information to reunite you with your pet..
- Secondly, if you have found a pet and want to try to find the owner, you can list it with a contact number for the owner to reach you.