On June 15, 2017, the Guilford County Board of Commissioners approved the Fiscal Year 2018 budget which includes the renewal of a chemical facility planning fee which goes into effect on July 1, 2017. This fee schedule is applicable to any entity that is legally required to file a Tier II chemical report form as part of Title III of the Federal Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act of 1986 (SARA) as amended. The fee assessed is based on the amount of chemicals reported at regulated facilities in Guilford County for the previous calendar year.
On January 1, 2015, the State of North Carolina began collecting a Tier II fee from facilities that are required to file under SARA Title III. The state’s fee was calculated based on the number of reported chemicals and collected by E-plan at the time of report submission. The chemical facility planning fee that is the subject of this letter is a fee that Guilford County has been collecting since 2012. It is separate and independent from the state’s Tier II fee.
Guilford County anticipates that bills will be distributed in August 2017.
If you received a letter regarding your bill for the Hazardous Facility Planning Fee, we ask that you review the information and notify us of any corrections, updates, or inconsistencies by July 21, 2017, by submitting updates to Taylor Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or (336) 641-5393. Change requests after that date will not be accepted and the information we have on file will be used to process your bill.
Fee Schedule Details
|Category||Schedule for Maximum Annual Quantity of Total EPCRA
Reportable Chemicals on Site
|B||Tier II Facility – 1 to 99,999 pounds||$175.00|
|C||Tier II Facility – 100,000 to 999,999 pounds||$275.00|
|D||Tier II Facility – 1,000,000 pounds or more||$500.00|
|Category||Special Hazard Surcharges||Annual
|E||Extremely Hazardous Substance (EHS) Facility Surcharge,
|F||Extremely Hazardous Substance Facility Surcharge,
|G||Clean Air Act 112 (r) Risk Management Plan (RMP) Regulated
|H||Treatment, Storage, and Disposal facility (TSDF) Surcharge||$1,000.00|
- Fees are calculated based off of the previous calendar year’s Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) Tier II Submissions to the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC).
- Categories B-D are calculated in the following manner based on your Tier II submissions:
- The facility quantity is calculated using the “Maximum Daily Amount (code)” for each chemical listed on the Tier II.
- For each reported chemical, the reporting range amounts are added together to determine the facility’s range and corresponding fee category
- The following amounts (in pounds) are used for each Reporting Range used:
- Category E and F are applicable if the facility Tier II submission includes chemicals classified by the Environmental Protection Agency as an Extremely Hazardous Substance.
- Surcharges as listed in Categories E-H are added onto the base Category A-D to determine the total facility fee, as applicable.