Family Support Network of Central Carolina Wins the 2017 “Safety Makes Cents” Award
The Guilford County Child Fatality Prevention Team/Community Child Protection Team (CFPT/CCPT) presented its 15th annual “Safety Makes Cents” award to Family Support Network of Central Carolina at the team’s June 15th meeting.
The Family Support Network of Central Carolina (FSN) believes that the greatest asset a child can have is a strong family. Their mission supports helping families become resilient when facing a new diagnosis or illness by providing support, education and caring connections to those who have a child with special needs or who experience a stay in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
The award will allow this organization to continue a partnership with Cribs for Kids allowing them to provide a safe sleep environment and offer family friendly printed educational materials to NICU families. They provide:
- Support, guidance and early intervention for families in the NCIU, with ongoing support as they transition from the hospital to their home and the community.
- A storehouse of infant care items for eligible families who are leaving the NICU through their Elizabeth’s Closet program.
- A new bassinet or pack and play with printed information regarding Sudden Infant Death Syndrome prevention for NICU families who do not have access to bedding for their infant.This organization extends their services even further to the community by providing:
- Support for families at the time of a child diagnosis through connecting with neighboring/local agencies serving children with special needs.
- Coordination of support groups such as Moms’ Group, Dads’ Group, and ADHD Support Group, etc.
- Fun recreational opportunities for families, including their annual spring event and Holiday Jamboree.
- Assistance for their Spanish-speaking families and new members of our community to locate resources they need to support and advocate for their children. The “Safety Makes Cents” award is an annual monetary citation in the amount of $1,000 for outstanding work in the field of childhood injury prevention. With our help, FSN will continue to make an impact on the lives of hundreds of local families! Individuals or groups representing agencies, businesses, coalitions, organization or clubs within Guilford County with proven injury prevention efforts in reducing child fatalities may apply for the annual $1,000 award. Funds must be used to further the winning group’s efforts.
For more information on the award or the CFPT/CCPT, call Kim Herzing at the Guilford County Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Public Health at 336-641-3723.
Pictured above (left to right): Sarah Pitchard, Lisa Shoffner, Nancy Micca (Executive Director) of Family Support Network of Central Carolina and Kim Herzing, Guilford County Child Fatality Prevention Team/Community Child Protection Team.