Below you will find general information and answers to frequently asked questions.

I don’t have any money to pay my bills. What services are offered through DSS to assist me?

DSS offers several different programs. The eligibility requirements vary depending on the program. You may want to inquire about the following: Work First Program, Work First Employment, Food and Nutrition, and Medicaid. The agency could also assist with giving possible referrals to other outside agencies.

I don’t have any food in my house and I’m hungry.

Apply for Food and Nutrition Services (food stamps) and you may also be given a food referral to a food bank which could provide an immediate food source. Click Here to apply online for FNS Benefits (Food Stamps) or visit us in person in Greensboro: 1203 Maple Street Greensboro NC 27405 or High Point: 325 East Russell Avenue High Point NC 27260. .

I just received a disconnection notice from my heating and/or cooling bill. What should I do?

Apply for Emergency Assistance. There are several different programs within Emergency Assistance in which you could be evaluated for to assist you; pending eligibility requirements are met.

I am not working and need help obtaining job skills and financial support. Can DSS assist me?

The Work First Program may be able to assist you. For Work First Cash assistance you will need to have a child under the age of 18 in the household. Along with this program is the Work Fist Employment Services Program can assist you with employment and job readiness.

I don’t have a place to live and need help finding housing.

Please contact your local housing authority.  The Greensboro Housing Authority at 450 N Church St, Greensboro, NC 27401: (336)275-8501 or the High Point Housing Authority at 500 East Russell Avenue High Point, NC 27260 (336)887-2661..

I have been sick and need help during the day until I get my strength back. Can DSS assist me?

The In-Home Aide Services program in the Aging & Adult Services Division may be able to assist you. In-Home Aide Services enables individuals who are unable to carry out tasks essential to the activities of daily living and have no responsible person available to perform these tasks but need the services in order to remain or return to their homes. Assistance is provided with essential home management tasks, personal care tasks or supervision.

I’m the caregiver for my elderly parent but I have to work and I need help during the day.

Daycare Services for Adults provides an organized program of services during the day in a community group setting for the purpose of supporting adults’ personal independence and promoting their social, physical, and emotional well-being.

What do I do if I am dissatisfied with the care that I receive from a nursing home or residential care facility?

If you are dissatisfied with the care that you receive from a nursing home or residential care facility, you can file a complaint with DSS and/or the Division of Health Services Regulations. Complaints can be made by contacting the agency at (336) 641-3000 and requesting to speak to the Adult Foster Care Social Worker on-call. Complaints can be made to the Division of Health Services Regulations Complaint Intake Unit at (800) 624-3004 (within NC) or (919) 855-4500.

I suspect someone is physically harming an adult and I don’t know what to do.

The Adult Protective Services Program provides protection and essential services for disabled adults of Guilford County who are allegedly in abusive, neglected or exploitive situations that require protective services assistance. Contact the agency at (336) 641-3000.

I suspect someone is physically harming a child and I don’t know what to do.

If you or someone you know suspects that a child has been harmed, please contact the Child Abuse and Neglect HOTLINE at (336) 641-3795 Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or afterhours and holidays at (800) 378-5315.