Please view the most frequently asked questions below. If there’s something you have a question about and do not find it listed below please email us at

What is the cost for copies of vital records?

Certified Birth, Death, or Marriage: $10.00
Uncertified via mail: $1.00
Uncertified in person: $0.05
Marriage license: $60.00
Marriage keepsake: $1.00

How do I obtain a copy of a birth, death or marriage record?

Click here for link to vital records information.

What methods of payment do you accept?

Our Real Estate, Vitals and Passport offices accept cash, checks, money orders, credit and debit cards for services rendered. For Passport applications, a check or money order is required for payment to the US Department of State. Please call the office for details.

How do I obtain a copy of a birth, death or marriage record?

Click here for link to vital records information.

How do I obtain a copy of a military discharge record recorded in Guilford County?

Contact the vital records staff at 336-641-7556.

Where are you located?

Greensboro office:
2nd Floor
BB&T Building
201 West Market Street
Greensboro, NC 27402

High Point office:
325 East Russell Avenue
High Point, NC 27260
Room 155

What are your hours?

8:00 to 5:00 for issuing documents (Monday – Friday Excluding County Holidays)
8:00 to 4:30 for issuing marriage licenses (Monday – Friday Excluding County Holidays)
8:00 to 4:30 for issuing out of county birth records (Monday – Friday Excluding County Holidays)
8:30 to 3:00 Monday – Friday Excluding Federal Holidays for acceptance of passport applications

How can I expedite a request?

We now offer express overnight service. Overnight delivery requests will be processed and completed if submitted by 3:00 pm ET Monday thru Friday excluding holidays. Signature required upon delivery. The expedite fee is $24.70. You can access this service by going to NCVITALS.

If I was born in Guilford County and was adopted, can I obtain a copy of my birth record in Guilford County?

No. Adoption records are not available at the Guilford County Register of Deeds office. You can obtain further assistance by contacting NC Vital Records at 919-733-3526.

How do I get a birth certificate if I was not born in North Carolina?

Born inside the United States:

Birth certificates are maintained by each state for the people who are born in that state. Contact the county or state vital records in the state where you were born to get a copy of your birth certificate. There is a Web site that can help you find out where you should write for
vital records across the United States.

Born outside the United States:

If you were born outside the United States and your parents were United States citizens at the time of your birth, you can write to —

US Department of State
Washington Passport Agency
1111 – 19th Street – NW Suite 300
Washington DC 20522-1705
(202) 647-0518

How do I amend or correct a birth, death, or marriage record?

Contact the ROD staff in Greensboro at 336-641-7556 or in High Point at 336-641-6935.

How do I obtain a copy of my divorce record?

Contact the Clerk of Court at (336) 412-7400.

My loved one has passed away. How do I file the Will and obtain a letter of testamentary?

Contact the Estate Division of Clerk of Court at (336) 412-7550.

How do I obtain a legal name change?

Contact the Special Proceeding Division of Clerk of Court at (336) 412-7575.

What are the acceptable forms of identification?

For obtaining certified copies of vital records, picture identification that shows name is required. Examples are: state issued driver’s license, state issued id card and passports. Identification is also requested for uncertified copies.

What steps do I take to get married?

First, the license must be purchased in North Carolina. The license is valid in any county in the State of North Carolina, but must be returned to the county in which it was issued. The license is valid for sixty (60) days. A religious officiate or a magistrate may perform the ceremony. For more information on obtaining a marriage license, click here.

Once I have obtained a marriage license, to whom do I speak about arranging a civil ceremony?

You may schedule an appointment with a Magistrate in the Greensboro Courthouse by dialing 336-412-7855. High Point Magistrate‚ operate on a first come first serve basis.

How do I file separation papers?

The Register of Deeds office does not provide legal advice; it is advisable to see an attorney. A separation agreement may be filed in our office once the document is complete and properly notarized.

Who can get certified copies of birth, death or marriage certificates?

We are authorized by NCGS 130A-93(c) to issue certified copies of vital records only to the following:

  • A person requesting a copy of the person‚ own vital records or that of the person‚ spouse, sibling, direct ancestor (child or grandchild) or descendent (parents or grandparents) or stepparent or stepchild;
  • A person seeking information for a legal determination of personal or property rights; or
  • An authorized agent, attorney or legal representative of a person described above.